Sunday 4 October 2015

"We Media" and Democracy - Andreas


Over the summer I came across news quite easily, from social networks to the media on the TV.

However the news I came across wasn't always legitimate as some of them was just biased views towards something they strongly disagree about like the Syrian migrant crisis and how it can damage the economy and that ISIS members are hidden within them (something I disagree with) which shows that the news cant exactly be reliable.

 

One example of News however which got my attention over the summer was the chemical plant in china blowing up and causing mass fires in Shandong  which killed about 200 people and many more injured or missing, I first found this piece of news from Facebook  which is a social media website and at first i was questioning its credibility so that made me look into further detail about this and I the checked BBC news website for more information on this catastrophe and that confirmed the source on Facebook, while looking more into this piece of news I found out some amateur videos from a citizen of the explosion taking place and was filmed from a hotel room only a few miles away from the explosion radius ( Video ).

 

The Syrian migrant crisis has been portrayed in many different ways over the news from what I've found over the past month as left wing bias news (Guardian) has said these people are seeking help and its our job to provide that compensation, on the other hand right wing papers believe that they are damaging our society and are a greater threat than we think.

 

Another story I came across was the scandal between David Cameron and a pig in oxford university in which he had to do a inappropriate action with a dead pigs head to gain acknowledgement from his former 'friends' at university and join this private club, the way in which I found out about this story is through people at first then on the internet and through many tabloid papers mocking him for a instant which he describes as being stabbed in the back, the sources i gained this information from are trusted as it is everywhere and published in papers.

 

The media I come across is commonly left winged news as I consider myself to be left winged and majority are my friends are so, the main source of my information comes from the Guardian newspaper which has a left winged bias however I occasionally read BBC news which doesn't have a bias due to it being funded by the tax payers and when looking on for the news on websites it uses cookies which personalises information found and makes me have news which is somewhat similar to what I always read.     

No comments:

Post a Comment